Origins Space Telescope (OST)
Science Technology and Definition Team (STDT) Telecon
|Purpose: ||To discuss science activities for OST.||Facilitator/Host:||Margaret Mexiner/Spitzer Science Center|
Telecon: WebEx Online
Click here to join the meeting!
1-855-749-4750 (Toll Free)
Access Code: 194 170 917
OST Study Office Presentation - Leisawitz, Carter
- Table would be useful for evaluating priorities of instruments
Concept 2 STDT Survey Results
- Question 3: Consider JWST as a baseline. Do we want something smaller than JWST. Feedback included suggestion that OST should not be smaller than JWST. If it were smaller, it would be perceived as taking a step backward . Understanding that a larger telescope would cost more.
- Results: Roughly 65% were in agreement and roughly 35% were not in agreement.
- Alex Pope - Don't have to be bigger than JWST. It is up to OST to sell it to the community. We are an order of magnitude longer in wavelength than JWST.
- Susan - Bigger telescope is better in terms of resolution.
- Kevin - Telescope aperature is smaller than JWST collecting area.
- Weidner - Don't need to get as big as Concept 1.
- Leisawitz - Dont want the CATE to not believe us and do not want them to say we are off by a point.
Instrument prioritization for Mission Concept 2
- Discuss instrument prioritizations for Mission Concept 2 with rescopes and science in mind, focus on FIP & HERO (Relative ranking of FIP and HERO)