Meeting Minutes - OST STDT Bi-Weekly Telecon - March 9, 2018


Subject:OST STDT Bi-Weekly TeleconDate:3/9/2018
Purpose:To discuss science activities for OST.Facilitator:Asantha Cooray/Margaret Meixner
Location/Time:

Telecon: WebEx Online

Meeting Number:

+1-855-749-4750 US TOLL FREE

+1-415-655-0001 US TOLL

Access code: 194 170 917

Note Taker:Sydney Jones

Discussion Items 

Short news:  Interim report schedule, Team face to face meetings date, spring, summer & fall   (Cooray/Meixner)Short news:  Interim report – comments due

  • Interim Report Schedule 
  • National Academy Panel on Exoplanets
  • Summer meeting: face to face science working group meetings? (in place of face-to-face meeting)
    • Work from Science Working groups and scientists needs to be done over the summer, particularly from faculty members 
      • Exoplanet working group for summer meeting overview 
        • Discuss finalizing exoplanet science case with key exoplanet science members 
      • Planetary System Formation
        • Member(s) from this group will work to organize this. 
        • ACTION: Klaus Pontoppidan will talk with this group to see who is interested in working to help organize this group for the summer meetings
    • With support from STDT budget, suggest separating into science subgroups (as opposed to full STDT meeting) to refine science cases and simulations for what Concept 2 will do for science, or statistics simulation, need robust design reference mission for final report 
      • Proposed meeting format should be three meetings with six members per group
      • Proposed meeting dates are June 2018, July 2019, or August 2018
    • Margaret Meixner proposed to draft a work assignment for group members, with management team guidance, to help establish and ensure the design reference mission is clear so readers can see that the science can be accomplished by this observatory 
    • Gary Melnick added that OST needs to show that main selling points of observatory, scientifically, can be carried out in a reasonable fraction of time assuming reasonable overhead with enough time left over for GO programs

Outreach projects – Battersby & Kataria

  • Exoplanets and galaxies are highest priorties for making communities aware of OST capabilties
  • Jonathan Fortney will organize something for exoplanets for September 2018, and galaxies for about eight months from now
    • Jonathan Fortney hasn't begun organizing for this yet
    • Lee Armus added that we can begin organizing group meetings that highlight the great impact of having facility class observatories in space
    • Kartik J. Sheth  suggested scheduleing these in the fall 2018. Kartik J. Sheth added that this is important given the constraint of congressional appropriations
  • White papers for exoplanet groups
    • Should have individual working groups coordinate white papers for the deadline
    • Duncan: Far-IR white paper status, have had some discussions on how to provide input. Should discuss how to coordinate white paper activities with OST 
      • Duncan will brainstorm best approach to accomplish coordination of white papers across OST 
      • White papers are two pages, and should focus on GO program science capabilies for OST
      • Lee Armus suggested allowing the community have freedom and flexability with respect to submitting and drafting white papers. Should also have a good list of seriously interested people who are signing up to do this
      • Speakers bureau colloquium (will be included in the STDT budget) 
        • Proposed date is fall 2018
        • Will have strawman talk in a couple of weeks 
        • Should begin calling people in May 2018
  • Martina Wiedner OST conference on September 4-7, 2018 in Oxford, England for mobilizing european community on all science for OST
  • JWST scheudle review on March 13-14, 2018 will give us a better date for launch. A couple people from U.S may be able to attend 
  • ACTION: Kartik J. Sheth will email any release date ideas to STDT
  • Public news article
    • Currently working on draft 
    • Would like to send to editor by March 23, 2018
  • Margaret Meixner will follow up with Forbes regarding the article for forbes 

Science for concept 2 – followup on action items  (Cooray)

  • Discussed how to incorporate/merge science theme for local volume galaxies into science
  • How did we get here? Bergin/Melnick/Pontoppidan/Milam
    • Klaus to consider a 250 hour program with OSS+FTS and heterodyne vs. OSS+FTS+etalon for disk only. Report March 9th.
    • Life? Fortney/Stevenson/Kataria
    • Need a criteria to decide go, no-go for coronagraph in MISC. Even if contrast not significant over JWST
  • How does the universe work? Pope/Armus/Battersby/Sandstrom
    • Technical requirements should need to be reflected into science cases/themes
    • Technical requirement gaps 
      • Protostellar..case - will help to an give idea of dynamic range necessary 
      • Magnetic field and turbulence case - will help with identifying polarization
      • Galaxy feedback case - spectral lines of contuniumm over large areas for linear mapping 
      • Will write up these cases for Concept 2, explain what we can do in roughly 200 hours and include this in the design reference mission
      • Asantha Cooray asked for clarification on the protostellar acretion, what theme will this be included for? Theme 1 and 2 seem too. Protostellar case is more flexable for any theme. Protostellar acretion may be for the water trail theme
        • Kartik J. Sheth added that protostellar acreition is a key part of the water trail theme (theme two). 
        • Gary Melnick mentioned that protostellar acretion should go with water trail, because acretion is about how material is being moved and observed. The magnetic field turbulence belongs with star formation 
        • A science case currently for mapping magnetic field and turbulence in the milky way. STDT doesn't think there is a strong case for mapping entire disks of galaxies in polarization. Inclined to stick to science case for polarization
          • STDT provided example using SPICA approach, looking at galaxy acitvity to understand star formation on molecular cloud scale, and observing near by galaxies vs. farther galaxies in a single beam. Resolution scale for galaxies is something that should be considered with respect to star formation.
    • ACTION: STDT to discuss and determine what key topics will be discussed for each theme.
    • ACTION: Margaret Meixner will refine the estimate for percentage of efficiency that can be done with 2000 hours in one year. 
    • 2000 hours per theme. 70% efficiency is equal to 1 year of observation.  
      • Margaret Meixner added that for Concept 2, we have to shrink down mission from Conept 1, and need to identify top three priority science cases and capabilties. These things/tasks will survive through descoping  needs to be done, to meet the required budget. It is important to understand high priority science vs. minimum science. Need to assess what to keep that can be used for the observatory
      • Gary Melnick added that the three current themes are top level motivations for doing astronomy. OST is conginzant of these goals. Spitzer was sold on its ability to answer a finite number of important questions, hoping that someone reading about it or researching it finds something intereting. OST should drive to meet the presedence of sucess in keeping goals at high level, important and focused. 
  • Coronograph status
    • Exoplanet working group engaged with MISC instrument team to settle on reasonable/acheievable contrast for Concept 2
    • Itsuki Sakon sent updated values suggesting that 10 to the minus 5 contrast may be reachable. 
    • Need feeback from management team to move forward with including coronograph for Concept 2 
  • Etalon/Hero Sensitivity Calculation Update 
    • High quality HD and water spectra of about 20 disks in 250 hours is possible 

Meeting Summary/Key Outcomes

  • ACTION: Incoporporate prostellar acretion into theme 2 (water trail)
  • ACTION: Other science cases will be incoroporated in the GO program 

Study Center update (Leisawitz) (Some study center update details may not be listed below. Contact David Leisawitz and Ruth Carter for specific details pertaining to the study center update that may have been missed or not included here)

  • ACTION: Matt Bradford send David Leisawitz updated table of sensitivities
  • Concept 2 detector choice will  be TES polarimeters
  • Primary mirror configuration will be on axis, central observation
  • Telescope collecting area will be 25 sq meters (5.9 diameter telescope)
  • Segmentation options for primary mirror

Action Items 

No.Action Item(s)OwnerTarget Due DateStatus (In progress/Completed)
1

Incoporporate prostellar acretiction into theme 2 (water trail). Other science cases will be incoroporated in the GO program 

All of STDT 
2

Discuss and determine what key topics will be discussed for each theme.

All of STDT 
3

Email any release date ideas to STDT

Kartik J. Sheth 
4

Talk with this group to see who is interested in working to help organize this group for the summer meetings

Klaus Pontoppidan 
5

Refine the estimate for percentage of efficiency that can be done with 2000 hours in one year. 

Margaret Meixner 
6

ACTION: Matt Bradford send David Leisawitz updated table of sensitivities.