Meeting Minutes - OST STDT Bi-Weekly Telecon - March 23, 2018


Subject:OST STDT Bi-Weekly TeleconDate:3/23/2018
Purpose:To discuss science activities for OST.Facilitator:Asantha Cooray/Margaret Meixner
Location/Time:

Telecon: WebEx Online

Meeting Number:

+1-855-749-4750 US TOLL FREE

+1-415-655-0001 US TOLL

Access code: 194 170 917

Note Taker:Sydney Jones


Action Items 

No.Action Item(s)OwnerTarget Due DateStatus (In progress/Completed)
1Delete nitrogen 2 line on the plot and update numbers for measurement, bandwidth, mapping speed and everything needed to cover instrument suiteAlexandra Pope 
2Email questions regarding the theme 3 presentation to Alexandra Pope Matt Bradford Lee Armus STDT 
3Develop plans for what can be done for large scale surveys and discovery spaceScience Teams / Joaquin Vieira 
4

Think about what will come out of imaging. Aerial coverage is limited compared to what can be produced with an imager (no spectroscapy)

Extragalactic Group and all science teams 
5Send slide of mapping speed and certain sensitivity to STDTJohannes Staguhn 

Discussion Items 

**All action items from this meeting are provided in the table above**

Kartik J. Sheth added: Direction from HQ on the INTERIM report:"After you get the LRT reports, you will have one month to update your report and then we will make the updated report public. If we/I don’t get the updated report by 1 month, we will be making public the original submitted one.

Short News

  • Interim Report
    • One scientist has read through every section
    • Extragalactic and summary sections were sent to the graphics person 
    • Is the interim report in reference to Concept 1?  YES.  Costing details are not included in the interim report for Concept 1. Costing details will be included in the final report. 

Science Cases

  • Theme 3: How does the Universe work? (Mid-Infra Red Extragalactic Case) - See slides from Alex Pope here:   OST_telecon_mar232018_Pope.pdf
    • Kartik J. Sheth: omitting red shift may raise questions as to why C+ ins't here? The response was that we are trying to find tracers for star formation from red shift, C+ wouldn't be used
    • Gary Melnick asked if tidal disruption is something you are aware of? The response indicated that in a large survey tidal disruption would require time monitoring
      • Matt Bradford mentioned that hours could be distributed to get time domain sensitivity
      • We are getting more things from the survey. Alexandra Pope is addressing things that were of concern before
    • SDSS measurements may not be measurable with transitional optical line ratios
    • After defining requirements for Concept 2, we can better assess what red shifts will be needed. 
      • Metalicity red shift for neon lines is 10 to the minus 4. 
      • Matt Bradford we need what will allow us to measure red shifts blindly, using c+
      • Do we need the mid infra-red diagnostic?  
    • ACTION: Delete nitrogen 2 line on the plot (assigned to Alexandra Pope)
      • Nitrogen 3 is the one you want to compare with oxygen metalicity
      • Long wavelength design for Concept 1 is 650. 600 is recommended due for discovery
      • Shortest wavelength of longest wavelength band is 400
      • 600 microns gets a red shift of 8
      • Thomas L. Roellig added that Alexandra Pope needs to update numbers for measurement, bandwidth, mapping speed and everything needed to cover instrument suite
        • ACTION: Update numbers for measurement, bandwidth, mapping speed and everything needed to cover instrument suite
  • Theme 2: Trail of Water 
    • Is a continuum mapping needed for the FIP instrument? No.
  • Coronograph/ MISC
    • See slides on MISC instrument from Denis Burgarella
    • What does the minimum acceptable spectral resolution power? (R~300) is too low?
    • Level of grism with super long integration times is not 

Discuss Concept 2 GOO observing program

Study Center Presentation

Summary

  • All spectroscapy and no contiuum mapping with? 
    • Continuum mapping case can possibly be made using extracgalactic science.
  • ACTION: Think  about what will come out of imaging. Aerial coverage is limited compared to what can be produced with an imager (no spectroscapy)
    • Need an articulated science driver which is a big whole in the report 
  • 8th F2F Meeting 
    • Goals of the meeting 
      • Instruments should be solidified
      • Opportunity to communicate what Concept 2 can do 
      • Identify summer tasks for defining Concept 2 science
      • Opportunity to tie up loose ends with Concept 2
      • Opportunity to coordinate with Lockheed Martin for Concept 2
    • Remember to register for the 8th F2F meeting. Here are links to the meeting homepage and registration: Click here for meeting registration / Click here for the meeting homepage