Far-IR Bi-Weekly Meeting Telecon Meeting Minutes - June 2, 2017

Discussion Topics

  1. STDT action item reminders (e.g., science illustrations)
    1. Email was sent out about science illustrations for science case. STDT Team needs to bring ideas to the face-to-face meeting and have an illustrator incorporate these ideas into the interim report. Illustration examples would ideally be a figure that is technically oriented and impressive for a report; should be at the level of an artist's rendition that would represent the client well; a protoplanetary draw up could be ideal. At the moment we want ideas to come up with a base list; there would be interaction between scientists and the illustrator. Try to think of ideas that would be interesting to communicate the science. The audience would be the general science community for the Decadal Survey; it could serve more than one purpose. 
    2. Dynamic range question; specifically what type of detectors and how many modes of tuning are needed; such as background levels. The study team would like more information. STDT team should send answers to these questions before the face-to-face meeting. The background would be astrophysics background. For example, the galactic center may include the galactic background. Ned may be able to provide information about the source.
  2. OST science proposal review process
    1. There are a number of proposals used to define concept one. The top 14 were used to determine the aperture. We want to step back to review cases and discuss the status of what we are doing in concept one. We have to discuss what the second concept will be in the science context, but still need to rethink what the science priorities are to inform the discussion we will have in June at the face-to-face. 
    2. Many of the proposals have been updated and there are five new cases; four heterodyne and one on imager. Exoplanets has been updated; five others have been updated in some way, including; rise of metals, solar system and others. The transit case has been updated. 
    3. There are 32 proposals total; all proposals have to be re-read and scored. STDT needs to review 21 proposals and vote on them. This is due June 9th by 5:00 PM Pacific Time. 
    4. STDT will weigh possible deadlines and processes for mission concept 2. Mission concept 1 has a defined set of science requirements, and will meet the day before the face-to-face meeting. We are not at a point where the mission concepts are complete. It is possible that new science cases will arise over the summer. It is a plus to reach out the community and ask for feedback and ideas for mission concept 2. Writing assignments for the draft of the final report, will be discussed at the face-to-face meeting in June. 
    5. Johanes took everyone's input from the science matrix exercise; the case, apathetic accretion, was chosen because of a scientifically appropriate aperture. Asantha wanted people to have an opportunity to update things. 
  3. Discussion of agenda for June 14 – 15 STDT face-to-face meeting, Washington DC 
    1. Location of June 14 -15 meeting.
      1. Smithsonian Castle - Dillion Ripley Center, room 3035, adjacent to the Smithsonian castle on the Washington, DC mall. 
    2. There is a block of rooms at the Capital Hilton. 
    3. Day one will be about engineering studies and where they are going. T
      1. The meeting will start at 8:00 AM on day 1 (June 14 - 15)  and end close to 6 pm. 
    4. Day two will be about the interim report, science talks, astronomers will talk, recap from day two, Lee will discuss simulation tools, advocacy strategy discussion, summer science activity, interim report outline, discussion of content writing assignments, meeting summary.
    5. Gary suggested to invite members from exoplanet working group to talk about direct imaging and give a quick advocacy presentation for its utility. While coronography is not a huge consumer of mass and volume, we should consider using this in the future. Gary wants to know how are we competitive with Luvar (larger diameter) that makes coronography competitive. The question is do we do better than they do in detecting planets, is there an interesting case for thermal emission of exoplanets that tell us about the variety of architecture for detecting planets. The original science case to capture Jupiter analogues. Competition may actually come from W-FIRST. Luvar and Habex are tied to reflective light, OST may be able to detect bio-signatures in transit spectroscopy in the mid-infrared through coronography. Current direct detection capability may be a good refresher talk. Margaret suggested that everyone bring one or two slides regarding direct detection capability to the face-to-face meeting. 
    6. Tom expects the June instrument accommodation meeting to be very useful and hopes to be able to make some decisions and turn around findings in time to present to STDT. 
    7. The room has capacity for fifty people. 
    8. Margaret send out the agenda for the June face-to-face meeting via email on 5/19/2017

Action Items

#ActionPerson ResponsibleDue Date
1.Bring ideas to the face to face meeting to get illustrator to incorporate into interim report.STDT TeamJune 14 -15, 2017
2.Send study team answers to questions about specifically what type of detectors and how many modes of tuning are needed; such as background levels. The study team would like more information. Try to send these in before the face-to-face meeting.STDT TeamBefore June 14-15, 2017
3.

Review and score the 21 proposals. There are 32 proposals total; all proposals have to be re-read and scored. 21 proposals will be reviewed and voted on.

STDT Team June, 9, 2017 by 5:00 P.M. Pacific Time
4.Eric and Kevin to bring in several slides regarding exoplanet working groups (all working groups will still bring in their slides as well).

Eric and Kevin

June 14 - 15, 2017
5.Margaret to contact Ruth about hotel reservations and room blocks.MargaretJune 14 - 15, 2017

Next Meeting: Jun 16, 2017