Face to Face Meeting Agenda

8th f2f meeting - 15 & 16 Map 2018, Lockheed Martin, Palo Alto, CA

Science theme working group package:  STDT-science-work-package-2018.zip


Talks & presentations: Post here

FIP_Instrument _Presentation.pptx

OSS_forSTDT_2018May15.pptx

Advocacy Notes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j4rvPNxyRuX8NafuJPdQ9OKBQs16utrNLhyaru20llw/edit

Advocacy Notes

Graphics Wishlist


MIssion-Concept2-meixner.pptx

Cooray-ScienceThemes-STDTMay2018Reduced.key     Cooray-ScienceThemes-STDTMay2018.pdf

Concept 2 Science Traceability.pptx

Concept 2 Traceabilty Matrix_v3.xlsx

OST f2f 8 Study Office 20180512 rev1.pptx

OST f2f 8 Mass & Volume-1.pptx

Kartik_OSTf2fPaloAlto2018May.pdf

Concept 2 Observing Modes and open issues.pptx

MC2-operations-meixner.pptx

OST-Observation-Concept2_v4.xlsx

LISA_for_OST.pdf

HERO.ppt

OSS_forSTDT_2018May15.pptx

OST_STDT_F2F_MISC_PRESENTATION_20180515.pdf


Day 2:

Mass proxy for cost.pptx

OST Decadal Final report outline 20180511.docx

Schedule-OST-v2.docx

OST Study Schedule 20180509.pptx

Far-IR Sky Model - COSMOS data cube.pptx

SPICA_and_OST.pptx

SAFARI_POL_factsheet.pdf

SAFARI_factsheet_v0.9.pdf

SMI_factsheet-v10.pdf

Supplementary information:

6th f2f meeting - 14 & 15 September 2017, STScI, Baltimore, MD

MAIN MEETING PAGE

5th f2f meeting – 14 & 15 June 2017, National Mall, Washington DC

S. Dillion Ripley Center, Room 3035,  Adjacent to the Smithsonian Castle,


MAIN MEETING PAGE  (https://sites.google.com/view/ost5f2f/home to register, order lunches, sign up for dinner, check agenda, webex info)

Face-to-Face #5 Presentation Charts

OST F2F5 Study Office 20170614.pdf

F2F 5 Concept 1 Open Issues 20170613.pdf

Decisions Needed.pdf

OST_Instrument_Summary_F2F_6-14-17_V8.pdf


AGENDA DETAILS: F2F5 Agenda 20170602.docx

 team building activities:  

   June 13, 7pm Nats-Braves Baseball game


   Possible visit to the National Museum of African American Culture and History.


Notional agenda items (please propose items of discussion at f2f):

Asantha:


  1. Interim report outline, schedule, tasks and chapter lead identification. Report ~ due Dec 2017, ~80 pages, HQ has said use EXO-C and EXO-S reports as guides:
    see https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/stdt/Exo-C_InterimReport.pdf  https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/stdt/Exo-S_InterimReport.pdf

       This was discussed at STDT telecon on Friday April 21st. Will need 2-3 hour discussion at the June f2f to finalize.

          40 pages sciences, 40 pages technical details of the baseline design.

     Executive summary: 2 pages (Asantha/Margaret - aimed at all stakeholders, very general)

     Introduction:  3 pages  (more science focussed,  Dave?)

     Science cases: 5 pages each from 6 WGs (WG leads) - 5 pages with figures, a table summarizing main science goals. focus first on top 14 proposals then add in the rest in a half page.

     Science requirements: synthesize all science requirements to a top-level table (STM) and some summary text (2 pages, Johannes?)

     

      Technical contents (~40 pages; should be coordinated through MCWG)


     2.  Second design trades and process.  This needs to be a 3 hour open discussion, small presentations expected from interested parties including JPL that will be making a proposal to the full STDT.



REGISTRATION DETAILS:

Registration details TBA

Meeting Logistics TBA

       




4th f2f meeting – 21 & 22 March 2017, Caltech/IPAC, Pasadena, CA

Agenda with links to presentations

REGISTRATION DETAILS:

Please register here if you will be attending the meeting and are having NRESS support your travel.

Please register here if you will be attending the meeting and are organizing travel on your own.

MEETING LOGISTICS


F2F #4 Agenda 20170319 rev5.pptx


3rd f2f meeting -- 2-3 November 2016, Ball Aerospace, Boulder CO

All NRESS-supported STDT members have already registered.  
REGISTRATION DETAILS:  Please register here if you will be attending the meeting (and are organizing your travel/lodging on your own / non-NRESS) .  Deadline for registration: October 28th.Questions:  Contact Ruth CarterOST 3rd f2f Meeting Logistics: Please visit this website.Goals: improve science themes and fill in missing science gaps,
finalize instrumental parameters and technical boundaries.

Agenda

November 2-3 Ball

8:30 AM - 6 PM MDT Wednesday 2nd

8:00 AM - 5 pm MDT Thursday 3rd

All times local

Remote connection will be available. IPAC to provide webex connection.

Room will have  large screens; also there will be two additional rooms for breakout sessions.



Wednesday Nov 2nd:

8:00 AM  breakfast (Ruth to confirm)

8:30 AM - 8:45 AM      Chairs Welcome

8:45 AM - 9:15 AM      Ball Welcome, Ball interests on the study. (Bill Purcell (Ball) - 30 mins, to introduce Ball heritage and interests in OST)

9:15 AM - 9:30 AM   Science group charge  (finalize science requirements, fill missing requirements info including sciences missing) - Asantha/Margaret

9:30 AM  - 10:30 AM  3 breakout sessions   (take a break in between)   (led by SWG leads)

Questions to ask within the group:   1.  Does everyone agree with the science tracebility matrix and results of the 14 proposal evaluation?  Are there missing science cases or requirements?

2. When you look at the science requirements,  discuss the flexibility of them; this understanding will be important for the interchange and negotiation with the engineering teams for the instrument designs.

3. The science tracibility matrix was created on the top 14 killer app proposals.  Look at the remaining proposals  (of the original 32 killer

        Missing cases: imaging mid-IR on all scales, spectral polarimetry, extragalactic polarimetry


latest science traceability matrix (Oct 31st version, Johannes):   OST_Reqts_Traceability_Matrix_31_Oct_2016.xlsx

      Wavelength vs spectral resolving power:   Wavelength-Spectral Resolving.pdf

        Session 1:  Extragalactic/Reionization

        Session 2:  MW/ISM/Local Galaxies:

               ** NEW cases: 1) evolved star case, 2)interaction of stars and ISM (shocks, outflows OI, CII, high-J CO, PDR lines). 

                   Capabilities should already be covered in STM.

              ** These science cases are covered in the current STM and can be part of our overview presentations:

                         1: stochastic accretion, 2: multiphase ism, 4: water transport, 5: galaxy feedback to z=1, 6: obscured AGN, 7: B fields, turbulence

               ** Need to include these features:

                        for case 1 (protostellar variability) - 1) shallow, fast imaging AND  2)~10% or better calibration accuracy,

                        for ALL MW - 3) high spectral resolution (already included, but is not flexible).

                        ** Need to make sure 1 and 2 are added to STM

        Session 3:  Exo-planets/solar system SolarSystemExoplanetsReqBreakoutNotes.docx

10:30 AM - 11:00 AM       Summary of exoplanet science developments - (and new science requirements?)  -Klaus/Eric/Tyler enielsen_ost_f2f2016.key  enielsen_ost_f2f2016.pptx  robinson_ost_second_eclipse.pptx

                          -Small breakout exoplanet group discussion to create a science tracebility matrix afterwards

11:00 - 11:15 AM  Science imager requirement cases -  Eli Dwek (remote;  TBD) FIRSurveyor_EBL.pptx

11:15 - 11:30 AM  Top-level science themes with full STDT (Cara)

11:30 - 12:00 PM  Adjustments to science requirements with full STDT:   exoplanet & imager tweaks, other matters (Asantha/Margaret)  


12:00 PM - 1:00 PM lunch  talk  
               -  lunch talk: Keith Warfield (JPL): survey of decadal surveys and lessons    Kick off Presentation Cleared for public release OST.pptx


1:00 PM - 2:00 PM     Aerospace CATE process, introduction and example (Bob Bitten)    CATE Overview and Considerations_02Nov16.pdf

2:00 PM - 3:00 PM     Discussion and decision on number of architecture studies:  1 or 2


3:00 - 3:30 PM                 Break


3:30-3:45 PM   Instrument boundaries (Tom)     Strawman Instruments TLR 2.pptx

3:45 -4:00 PM  Science requirements and instrument overview (Johannes) OST_f2f_Instruments-Staguhn_Nov_2016.pptx

4:00-4:15 PM    Spectrometer (Bradford)  Bradford_SurveySpec_Nov2016.pdf

4:15-4:30 PM    Spectrometer/Far-infrared imager/polarimeter  (Johannes) OST_f2f_Spectro-Imager-Staguhn_Nov_2016.pptx

4:30-4:45 PM    Heterodyne (Gerin) EuHetInstBoulder2016Nov.pdf

4:45-5:00 PM    Mid-IR instrument (Margaret overview/Sakon for JAXA) MIRI-meixner-OST-Nov2016-v2.pptx  presentation_sakon_20161102.pdf


5:00 - 5:45 PM    Two or three breakout sessions

1. MCWG group with Mirror material study (Phil Stahl)

2.  Exoplanet requirements continued (if necessary)

3. Advocacy for Boulder townhall plan


5:45-6:00 pm  first day summary (Margaret/Asantha)

6 pm end

Overnight:  STDT  members think about which instrument or instruments they want to support the development of...  There will be a signup online


Thursday Nov 3rd

6:45 AM  Ball tour   - sign up with Peggy Irwin - Badging at 6:45am.

7:30 AM Breakfast

8:00:  Deadline for signing up for instrument team online,  TBD URL

8:00 - 8:30 AM     Study plan and design sessions overview  (Ruth/Dave) f2f 3 OST Study Plan 20161031_DTL.pptx

8:30 AM - 9:15 AM  Optical designs (Joe Howard, James Corsetti) 2016_11_04_OST_Optics_STDT_Presentation.pptx

9:15 AM - 10:00 AM Mechanical designs (Drew Jones) OST - Mechanical update 2016-11-03[2].pptx

10:00 AM - 10:30 AM  break

10:30 AM - 11:00 AM  -----  

11:00 AM - 11:30 AM  Adaptive technologies and cold deformable mirrors, John Steeves (JPL)  CAM_OSTpres_SteevesJ.pptx

11:30 AM - 12:00 PM Johnson test chamber talk, Jonathan Hohman (JSC) - 

12:00 pm -1:00 PM  lunch

lunch talk:  10m SAFIR what happened (Dominic Benford) OST_F2F3_Benford.pptx  OST_F2F3_Benford.pdf

1:00 PM - 3:00 PM Instrument breakouts (joint technical and science STDT members in each instrument team)

         1. Spectrometer/imager      2. Heterodyne       3. mid-IR/coronagraph

3:00 PM - 3:30 PM  break

3:30 PM - 4:00 PM  Instrument team summarizes on the study plans to full STDT.

4:00 PM - 4:30 PM  Advocacy plan  -  Desika/Cara

                        -AAS plan

                        -talks and conferences

                        -updated flyer...swag?

4:30 -5:00 PM - summary on the outcome of sciences & instruments, action items  - Cooray  &  Meixner



-------------------------------


Meeting planning materials:


Questions for Jonathan Hohman, JSC related to Johnson Test Chamber:



-------------------------------

(Due to scheduling conflicts, we are going to have Eric Smith's JWST talk during a regular STDT telecon on a Friday) 


Questions for Eric Smith, JWST related to  all things we want to know about JWST and its history and cost (including cost overruns):



  1. from Charles L:  

    I understand that JWST will have observing efficiiency of 50% at best, and I've heard of fixed staring observations in several bands that come out in the high 30% range.  How did JW "achieve" this horrible inefficiency, and what could a future FarIR mission do to prevent the same thing happening again.?

    (Just for reference, Spitzer's observing efficiency (time collecting photons/wall clock time) over 90%.)
  2. from Anel Flores:
    1. My understanding is that JWST was funded at $5 Billion at Confirmation, and the presumption is that that amount includes cost reserves, say 25 to 30%, is that right? The mission is now estimated to cost $8 to $8.7 Billion, hence, what are principal reasons for the higher mission costs?

    2. What are the major lessons learned in the development of the observatory, and what would the JWST team do differently (if it was able to do all over again)?

    3. The observatory uses a composite ISIM, but there are unconfirmed reports of issues with the adhesives and confirmed reports of problems in attaching the heat straps to the composite structure. Based on these problems, would the team have selected another material, such as an aluminum alloy for the ISIM? What were the principal drivers for selecting the composite material for the ISIM structure?

    4. How did the JWST solve the problems of heat sources on the telescope side of the observatory.

  3. from Asantha:
        a.  Will it be possible to provide a breakdown of the total cost of JWST to subcomponents to the extent possible, including OTA, instruments, I&T, labor & overhead, launch, operations, etc?
        b.  In addition to historical record of JWST cost increases (and reasons for such increases), it would be also useful to know which items in particular had the highest cost increases since the initial estimate (and an estimate of that increase since some initial stage of the design).
       c.  JWST requirement is 5 years of operations but expectation is it will be operable for 10 years. Please comment on the reasons why the JWST team is confident of this 10-year operation lifetime.
       d.  OST is interested in implementing active mirror technology, possibly leading to certain mirror alignment and wave-front corrections in orbit. It is generally believed that such an adoption may reduced the burden on I&T and thus reduce overall I&T costs of OST. Given the JWST experience, to what extent such an approach could be a cost saving in a future mission development?
      e.   Which components of JWST had the highest risk rating or lowest TRLs at Phase A? Which required the most involvement from industry for development? What new components/approaches in the JWST design at Phase A, especially those that were deemed low TRL/high risk at the time of an early mission definition study, were later recognized as items that had been developed already by industries as proprietary work but not known to the definition team?
  4. From Dave:
    1. What are the mission success criteria for JWST?
    2. What thoughts (tradeoff considerations) went into the decision that JWST's instruments are not intended to be replaced by a second generation of instruments?

Eric Smith attended our STDT telecon on 16 December 2016. Here are his answers to the questions posed above. The JWST mission success criteria are given in this Level 1 Science Requirements document.


2nd meeting -- 16-17 August 2016

Meeting WebEx info

Skip to end of metadata

Go to start of metadata

Meeting schedule: 16 Aug 0900-2100? EDT

                               17 Aug 0800-1700 EDT

Meeting URL : https://meetings.webex.com/collabs/#/meetings/detail?uuid=M40M8LL7K2ENQUWSLNVE32W8KO-2NHP&rnd=80951.148014

Meeting number: 197 050 173


Meeting notes:  August 16, 2016 STDT_08162016_Notes.docx

                          August 17, 2017 Far-IR Surveyor Face-to-Face 8-17-16.docx


F2F Meeting #2 Agenda: F2F #2 Agenda 20160816[1].pptx

STDT process and goals (Asantha):  STDTprocessGoalsCooray.pdf

HQ view of FIRS study (Paul Hertz):  Hertz FIRS STDT 160816 V2.pdf

Science Advocacy Decisions (Asantha): ScienceAdvocacy.pdf

Final (v2) technical requirements table from MCWG (Tom Roellig): Killer Apps Tech Spreadsheet-Vote Sorted-2.xlsx

STDT concept / architecture evaluation and selection (Tom Greene):  FIRS_STDT_concept_decision.pdf 

Mission Design Plan and Schedule (Ruth):  FIRS F2F Mtg #2 Mission Design Plan 20160817.pptx

Potential Launch Vehicles (Anel): FAR-IR Potential Launch Vehicles v2 01 Jul 2016.pptx

Action item slides (Margaret & Asantha):  Action-slides.pptx


1st meeting -- 12-13 May 2016

Power point version:   May F2F Meeting Agenda 20160506 Final.pptx

Location: GSFC Building 34, W305

If you don't know your way around GSFC, here's a map.

Team photo taken 13 May 2016. From left to right, Doug Johnstone, Stefanie Milam, Charles Lawrence, Jonas Zmuidzinas, Martin Cordiner (rear), Gary Melnick (front), Jon Arenberg, Kate Su, Dave Leisawitz (front), Susan Neff (middle), Klaus Pontoppidan, Ruth Carter, Tom Roellig, Margaret Meixner, Itsuki Sakon, Douglas Scott, Sean Carey, Asantha Cooray, Dominic Benford, Kartik Sheth, Lee Armus, Susanne Aalto, Maryvonne Gerin, Frank Helmich (rear), Matt Bradford (front), Karin Sandstrom, Desika Narayanan, Joaquin Vieira, Cara Battersby, Ted Bergin, and Phil Stahl.

Finally, this should be the final agenda. 

May 12-13 Goddard

9 AM - 6 pm EDT Thursday

9 AM - 5 pm EDT Friday

All times EDT

Remote connection will be available. IPAC to provide webex connection.

Room will have two large screens and a white board (Ruth, please confirm - we will need a white board in the room).

Thursday May 12th:

9:00 AM - 9:10 AM: Dr. Christyl Johnson, Goddard Deputy Director for Technology and Research Investments, welcome remarks

9:10 AM - 9:30 AM: Goddard introductions (Mark Clampin) and Study Center introductions (Ruth Carter)    -  20 mins  FIRS F2F Mtg #1 StudyOffice 20160510.pdf

9:30 AM Setting the 2030 sciences (30 mins each with questions)

9:30-10:00 JWST (John Mather  - in person)

10:00 - 10:30 ALMA (Al Wooten - remote)

10:30 - 11:00 SOFIA (Erick Young - in person)

11:00 - 11:30 Paul Hertz remarks and Q & A with the STDT (in person).

11:30 - 12:00  "Executable" definition exercise (Ruth Carter)    05-Carter FIRS F2F Mtg #1 Executable 20160511.pdf

12:00 pm Lunch 

 Lunch delivered to the room ($11  per person per lunch, cash will be needed - Ruth will email all attendees for lunch orders)

12:30 pm -1:00  pm lunch talk: 

Lesson from JWST experience for big astro space projects (Rogier Windhorst - remote)

1:00 pm - 2 pm JWST related tour 

2:00 pm - 2:15 pm  Decision matrix process and introduction to Tom Greene from Ames as the facilitator (Asantha/Margaret)   

2:15 pm - 2:30 pm Outline of decision matrix process and schedule Tom Greene - remote     08-TGreene_FIRS_assessment_2016May12.pdf

2:30 pm FIRS Science requirements

Science working group presentations (45 mins per group - organize as agreed within groups, includes STDT question/discussion time per group - moderated by facilitator)

present science questions and background material and justification why science questions are crucial for 2030 sciences.

2:30 pm -  3:15 pm Solar System (Stefanie)  09-Milam_STDTf2f_SolarSystem.pdf

3:15 pm - 3:30 pm coffee

3:30 pm - 4:15 pm Exoplanets and Disks  (Kate, Klaus)    11-pontoppidan_stdt.pptx

4:15 pm - 5:00 pm  Galaxy, ISM, local volume of galaxies (Cara, Karin)   12-F2F Presentation.pdf

5:00 pm - 5:45 pm  Cosmic high noon (Alex and Lee)  13b-FIRS_galevol_12may16_v5.pdf

5:45 pm - 6:30 pm  Cosmic Dawn/Cosmology (Joaquin, Matt)   14b-FIR_Surveyor_earlyUgroup_2016May12.pdf

7:00 pm +  Group dinner, Siri's Chef's Secret Restaurant (Thai), 5810 Greenbelt Road, Greenbelt, MD 20770

Friday May 13th:

9:00 am - 10:55 am  Decision matrix process revisited. An initial decision matrix, CML1-2 exercise, boundary conditions for technical parameters (Tom Greene)

 slides-chairs-f2f-sciences May13 sciences.pptx

10:55 am - 11:15 am  Itsuki Sakon (SPICA, in person)

11:15 am - 11:30 am  TESS (Stephen Rinehart, in person)

11:30 am - 12:00 pm WFIRST (Neil Gehrels - remote)

12:00 pm - 1:00 pm  Lunch -  Lunch delivered to the room ($11 per person per lunch, cash will be needed - Ruth will email all attendees for lunch orders)

12:00 pm Lunch talks: Other NASA Center/Affiliate introductory presentations, ~20-30 mins each 

JPL (Jeff Booth, invited and agreed)

Marshall (Phil Stahl, invited and agreed)

IPAC (Sean Carey)

1:00 pm - 3:00 pm additional CML1-2 exercises, boundary conditions for technical parameters 

3:00 pm - 3:30 pm Coffee

3:30 pm - 3:45 pm Community-led action items to generate FIRS interest (Asantha to lead discussion)

3:45 pm -  4:00 pm June O1 deadline (technology needs) discussion and plan to respond, setup a technology working group? (David Leisawitz to lead discussion)

4:00 pm - 4:45 pm  August M2 deadline: plan to final study plan development, schedule  (Ruth Carter to lead discussion)  FIRS F2F Mtg #1 Study Plan Appr 20160510.pdf

4:45 pm - 5:00 pm Wrap-up, actions, agenda for second f2f in August (Margaret)     slides-chairs-f2f-sciences May13-wrapup.pptx

aim: end by 5pm   +  Baseball  (Those interested in going to the Baseball game on May 13, 7:05pm (tix ~$25-30), please fill this form out: http://goo.gl/forms/NPWbrrdYfC )

Other things:

  1. The hotel (Holiday Inn, Greenbelt, Maryland) has a shuttle, and it can serve as a means of transportation to/from Goddard (~10 min drive, allowing for traffic signals), but sharing rides with people who have rental cars will likely be more convenient and efficient, as I’m sure the shuttle, with limited seating capacity, would have to make several round trips if everyone on the team depended on this mode of transportation.

  2. Goddard has ample parking space adjacent to the building in which we’ll be meeting.

  3. On May 12, visitors will have to stop at the security office at the Goddard main gate to pick up their badges.